Criminals today are bolder and smarter due to the vast wealth of knowledge available to them via the Internet. With legitimate websites offering in-depth details concerning the planning, execution and completion of illegal activity, traditional anti-crime devices such as video surveillance, alarms or even the presence of security guards no longer deter criminals.
By employing active-duty law enforcement officers to patrol your home or business, you are sending a strong, straightforward message to criminals who are thinking of burglarizing your property -- don't even try it. In addition:
1. Police officers have the field experience and training to beat thugs at their own game. Criminals caught in the act of burglary by police officers are read their rights and arrested on the spot. Alternately, security guards must call law enforcement to have the criminal arrested.
2. When police officers are patrolling a facility, they are acting within the law, meaning that people choosing to protect their assets with POs instead of security guards are not liable for the actions of security police officers.
3. Police officers require no special licensing to carry firearms. However, security guards who are permitted to carry firearms must complete special training and obtain licensing according to state regulations. Many security guards do not follow through with the requirements necessary to pack firearms and simply rely on a nightstick or pepper spray to deter crimes in progress.
4. Anyone with a high school diploma can become a security guard. Educational requirements to become a police officer involve at least an associate's degree and rigorous training in the academy and field. Many law enforcement officers also have a military background, which endows them with the self-discipline, fortitude and level-headedness necessary to be an excellent police officer.
5. Experienced police officers routinely prevent crimes because they understand how the criminal mind works and are adept at anticipating the criminal's next move.
6. Unlike civilians and civilian security, police officers are allowed to make immediate custodial arrests or “detain” suspicious persons when they are encountered.
7. According to research regarding POs versus security guards, when a criminal sees a police officer patrolling a facility, they almost always think twice about burglarizing that facility and will move on to "easier" jobs (i.e., businesses "protected" by security guards or surveillance equipment).
8. Active duty police officers must maintain good physical health to continue as effective and dependable POs. Unfortunately, because local and state governments do not employ security guards, they are not subjected to higher expectations.
9. Security guards are not legally permitted to seize contraband found on perpetrators. Police officers, however, can take contraband into evidence immediately upon finding it.
10. Background checks on police officers are exhaustive and complete. Companies employing security guards often do not perform background checks because they have such high turnover rates.
11. Experienced police officers project an authoritative, competent and “no-nonsense” demeanor that instantly makes criminals feel uneasy and unsure about following through with a crime.
Although having security guards defending a business does provide some protection against break-ins, most criminals know that security guards are severely limited in what they can legally do to stop them. In addition, repeat offenders who engage in crime for a living realize that many security guards do not have the real-life experience and raw instincts that police officers possess. Consequently, career criminals will not hesitate to take advantage of a security guard's limitations and inexperience.
Article Source: http://www.abcarticledirectory.com
LawMan Security & Consulting is the Tri-State area’s real professional security company staffed exclusively by active-duty law enforcement officers. We offer a wide range of services, including security and consulting, private investigation, and a host of personal protection and other classes. We also have a 24-Hour Help Center. We also offer Combat Application Tourniquet (C.A.T.) and Law Enforcement First Responder Tactical Casualty Care (L.E.F.R.-T.C.C.) training programs.
Still Searching? Last Chance to find what you're looking for with a Google Custom Search!
Or.... You can search this site using our Bing Custom Search!
Did You Like/Dislike This Article? Give It YOUR Rating!
Please Rate this Article
5 out of 54 out of 53 out of 52 out of 51 out of 5
No Ratings Yet. Be The First To Rate This Article
Powered by ABC Article Directory