Everyone knows that one of the most important thing in looking for a new job is to have a kick-ass cover letter! I know it has never been technically required, especially today where everything is done electronically and you can send a resume with the stroke of a key. I am here to tell you it IS a requirement and employers are looking for it in their candidates. In todays job market, there is some stiff competition in every profession. There are seemingly unlimited numbers of people looking for a very limited number of jobs. You have to write a cover letter because it is the first chance you have to SELL yourself and your knowledge of the company. Your resume merely lists your employment and educational history. The cover letter is where you sell yourself and your talents. The purpose of the cover letter is not only to sell yourself but to ask for the interview, the next step. It is an opportunity to show your potential employer why he/she needs to talk to you some more.
You MUST do the following 5 things to have a great cover letter:
(1) No spelling or typing errors. Not even one. Have your mother, father, sister, and brother proofread your cover letter for you (and your resume too). It is very important! This is one of the easiest ways to get an employer to ignore you; spelling errors happen but it shows something else, that you are not paying attention to the details and this matters in any job!
(2) Address it to the person who can hire you. Find a way to get around the personnel department and get it into the hands of the person making the decisions;
(3) Be formal. This is not the time to use your 'mad texting skills'. UR NOT going to get past the cover letter if you don't use a formal, business-like tone. Use an introduction such as Mr., Ms., or Dr. - as needed;
(4) Be yourself. Without being too casual, speak in a (respectful) tone that you would normally use. No need to break out a Thesaurus or anything, just sound like yourself. Inserting the word "scintillating" (to sparkle or twinkle) into your letter will make it look like you are trying too hard;
(5) Show that you know something about the company or the job that you are applying for. That is something that we should've covered earlier. In this day, it is easy to go onto the internet and find out more information about the company. You should do plenty of research on any potential employer before you decide if you want to work there. Then, once you have made that decision, make sure you incorporate a few things about why you like the company or why you are seeking a job opportunity in the first place. This will go a long way in letting this employer know that you are serious about working there.
Now you are ready to get that new job. Good Luck!
Article Source: http://www.abcarticledirectory.com
For more information about how to write a great cover letter, click here to read a review about a great tool!
Still Searching? Last Chance to find what you're looking for with a Google Custom Search!
Or.... You can search this site using our Bing Custom Search!
Did You Like/Dislike This Article? Give It YOUR Rating!
Please Rate this Article
5 out of 54 out of 53 out of 52 out of 51 out of 5
No Ratings Yet. Be The First To Rate This Article
Powered by ABC Article Directory