Dreaming of a tropical vacation with pristine beaches and lush green rainforests? Sadly the world's rainforests are rapindly disappearing. We are losing them in order to feed the world's ravenous appetite for cheap lumber and agriculture. But you can help save the rainforest AND favorite tropical vacation spots.
Did you know that the rainforest is often described as the "Lungs of our Planet"? The Amazon rainforest alone is responsible for producing more than 20 percent of the oxygen we breath! As an added bonus, by taking in carbon dioxide and giving off oxygen for us to breath, the rainforest actually reduces green house gases and fights global warming.
But check out these disturbing statistics about the rainforest. You're not going to believe them but they're true!
1. 54 of the world's 193 countries have already lost 90 percent or more of their forest cover. Rainforests that once covered 14% of the earth's land surface now cover a mere 6% and experts estimate that the last remaining rainforests could be gone in less than 40 years.
2. 1.5 acres of rainforest are lost every second (that equates to 50 million acres a year: an area roughly the size of Oregon)
3. Nearly half of the world's species of plants and animals will be destroyed or severely threatened over the next 25 years due to rainforest deforestation.
4. We are losing approximately 137 plant and animal species every single day due to rainforest deforestation. That equates to 50,000 species a year!
5. As the rainforest species disappear, so do many possible cures for life-threatening diseases. Currently, 121 prescription drugs sold worldwide come from plant-derived sources. Twenty-five percent of Western pharmaceuticals are derived from rainforest ingredients! Many more could be developed as only about 1% of tropical trees and plants have been tested by scientists.
6. Most rainforests are cleared by chainsaws, bulldozers and fires for timber and then are followed by farming and ranching operations. In Indonesia, the current rate of logging could totally wipe out native forests within only 10 years. The forest has already been totally wiped out in countries like Haiti and Ivory Coast where barely a tree can be found anymore.
Even worse is the fact that rainforests do not regenerate as our temperate forests in Vermont do. Once gone, they are gone forever and along with them the wonderful diversity of plants and wildlife that inhabit them.
So now that you know why your favorite tropical vacation spot may be in jeopardy, you may ask "What on earth can I do about it?" Well, this is where green consumerism comes in. Everyday when you're shopping you make choices that effect the health of the rainforest. It's true. Do you buy products made of soy, beef or wood for example? If so, chances are very good that they are originating in the rainforest and are being produced illegally in violation of local conservation laws.
You can do you part for the environment by purchasing products that are certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) as being green and originating from sustainably managed forests. Ask the salespeople in your favorite stores if their products are certified? Ask where they came from. You may get a few blank stares at first, but eventually you'll be making a difference. Store owners are going to realize more and more that sustainability is important to their customers. If they are to stay in business, they are going to have to Go Green.
And YOU can make it happen.
Article Source: http://www.abcarticledirectory.com
Find options and tips for buying custom, handcrafted, built to order furniture at Vermont Woods Studios vermontwoodsstudios.com
Visit Peggy Farabaugh's Eco Furniture Blog vermontwoodsstudios.typepad.com for consumer advice on buying green, eco-friendly, natural hardwood custom furniture.
Still Searching? Last Chance to find what you're looking for with a Google Custom Search!
Or.... You can search this site using our Bing Custom Search!
Did You Like/Dislike This Article? Give It YOUR Rating!
Please Rate this Article
5 out of 54 out of 53 out of 52 out of 51 out of 5
No Ratings Yet. Be The First To Rate This Article
Powered by ABC Article Directory