Conventional Farmers are Subsidized by our Government, But Organic Farmers are Not!
Why is the food supply in America in so much trouble? And, what can we do to fix it?
The U.S. government pays conventional farmers to spray poison on our food and supports companies like Monsanto that genetically alter food. Yet, organic farmers get absolutely zero subsidies from our government! What has gone so wrong with the food we grow in America?
Why are other countries refusing to buy food from us any longer?
Did you know, only 5% of our food supply is organic. And, to make matters worse, organic farmers have more costs than conventional farmers. First of all, they have to comply with government regulators – anyone in a regulated business knows how costly that can be.
Then there’s the cost of the organic certification itself, which is astronomical. And finally, cultivation, distribution, storage and shipping are all different than conventional food growers and considerably higher too.
Federal Organic Food standards are managed by the USDA. Europe and Canada have similar, definitions of organic, and similar regulations too. But Europe and Canada support organic growers. So far, in America, we do not.
The explanation of how organic food is classified is simple – Organic products are grown in environmentally friendly ways, without toxic or persistent agricultural chemicals. That seems simple, so what seems to be the problem growing good healthy organic food?
Organic Food Must Follow These 5 Rules:
1. Soil and plants cannot be treated with toxic chemicals or persistent pesticides: The Big Chemical companies, like Monsanto, polluted past farm soils so much so, that it takes more than 5 years, and in some instances never, to clean up the soil enough to plant organically.
2. No toxic fertilizers or sewage sludge can be used to promote growth: Again, big chemical companies have driven the cost of organic fertilizers so high that farmers look at it like you may look at cheap gasoline…why pay for premium?
3. GMOs are not allowed: So, how much does an organic seed cost these days anyway? Monsanto has bought most of the worlds’ seed companies and installed their GMO seeds. So, where do you go to find organic seeds? Monsanto has already said, “This is not a part time job for us, we will dominate the world food market!” Take a look at the “seed vaults” online. Are they really paranoid?
4. Animals are fed organic feeds and their natural behaviors must be accommodated to make their lives as comfortable as possible: Commercially raising animals for food has to be cheap to turn a profit, right? Organic feed is 4 times more costly than conventional GMO feed. So, where is your quick profit?
5. Synthetic growth hormones and antibiotics are forbidden: What they are saying here is, you can’t fatten ’em up quickly and cheaply, or synthetically care for their health with quick shot. If you want to raise them right, and call them organic, it takes time care, love and money!
Here is one of the most important facts about organic food and how the plants grow: When a plant does not have pesticides sprayed on it, it has to defend itself against nature “naturally.” So how does a plant do this without our help?
Each plant is different, however, they all react similarly to invasion from pests by producing their own natural phytochemicals that resist the pests. This is natures’ way of ensuring survival of the species. It’s these phytochemicals that enhance the nutritional profile of the plant. Hence, organic plants benefit your health naturally.
Furthermore, phytochemicals are responsible for the aromas, flavors, vitamins, minerals and the healthier profiles of the plants. Therefore, organic foods taste better and are much healthier for you too!
Finally, conventional food farmers spray poisons on the vegetables and fruits, but Organic food farmers do not. This makes conventional food much less valuable and therefore much cheaper to buy.
Organic food has grown more than 20% per year over the last ten years. It is the fastest growing area of agriculture in our country! Consumers have become smarter and realize cheaper isn’t always better. Be smart and make the change to organic food by growing your own produce (from certified organic seeds) right in your own back yard.
Article Source: http://www.abcarticledirectory.com
If you can’t grow enough food for your personal consumption, contact a local organic produce delivery company or a local organic food CSA in your area.
Still Searching? Last Chance to find what you’re looking for with a Google Custom Search!
Or…. You can search this site using our Bing Custom Search!
Did You Like/Dislike This Article? Give It YOUR Rating!
Please Rate this Article
5 out of 54 out of 53 out of 52 out of 51 out of 5
No Ratings Yet. Be The First To Rate This Article
Powered by Nuvio Templates