Are natural sleep supplements the answer to your sleepless nights?
If you’ve been sleeping poorly, the first thing to do is to look at your lifestyle. Have you been drinking too much caffeine, or not getting enough exercise, or watching too much latenight TV?
Have you been bringing workrelated problems home with you and then taking the laptop with you to bed to try to sort things out? There are dozens of things you could be doing that affect the sleep you get at night, and there are dozens of things you can do to correct these mistakes that are keeping you from getting the proper amount of rest you’ve been needing.
We’ve listened to the experts and have put together a list of the top 5 natural sleep supplements you can try to help you get a good night’s sleep. But before you try one or more of them, here are what sleep experts say you should first do to help you get the right amount of sleep:
● The bedroom should be as free from noise and light as possible. You should invest in heavy curtains and window blinds, and use earplugs and even possibly an eye mask.
● Your evening meal should not be overly large and you should eat a minimum of two hours before going to bed. A light high protein snack just before bedtime can ease any hunger pains that might wake you up later during the night.
● Don't drink any caffeinated drinks at least four to six hours before bedtime because the caffeine will stay in your system and keep you awake.
● A little regular exercise such as walking will help you reduce stress, and you’ll sleep better. But don’t do it within two hours of bedtime or you’ll have trouble falling asleep.
● If you must take a daytime nap, do it in the early afternoon and not after 5:00 or you’ll have a problem going back to sleep later that night.
● Any tasks you may be working on should be completed at least an hour before bedtime to give your brain time to settle down and relax.
● Any emotional issues should not be discussed right before bedtime or the irritation and stress will probably keep you awake.
● Keep all your pets outside the sleeping area so that you have the room all to yourself and won’t be bothered by strange movements or noises during the night.
● Make sure that the bedroom thermostat is set to a cool and comfortable temperature and that there is adequate ventilation.
● After considerable research, here are the expert's choices for the 5 natural sleep supplements you can safely try to get a full and complete night’s sleep:
The 5 natural sleep supplements you can safely try
By far the most widely talked about of today’s natural sleep supplements is melatonin. Melatonin has become immensely popular recently because its main purpose is to naturally regulate our sleepwake (circadian) cycles. In addition, most studies have shown that melatonin not only helps a lot of people to fall asleep, but it also enhances their quality of sleep as well.
People who have difficulty sleeping typically have lower levels of melatonin in their blood stream, so melatonin is considered your number one choice in today’s natural sleep supplements to help with your insomnia.
People have been drinking chamomile tea to help them sleep as for thousands of years. One study in Japan found that chamomile extract helped rats fall asleep as quickly as those that were given a dose of the tranquilizing medication, benzodiazepine. Even though the FDA considers chamomile tea to be safe with no side effects, some caution is recommended if you’re allergic to ragweed, and don’t drink it at all if you’re nursing or pregnant.
A number of reviews have suggested that valerian, like melatonin, is one of today’s best natural sleep supplements and can help people fall to sleep faster as well as improve the quality of their sleep. The studies show that valerian becomes more effective if you use it over time, so for it to be most effective, it should be taken every night for at least a few days to get the needed
There have been a few reports of people having headaches, stomach upset, or morning grogginess when taking valerian, and it should not be taken in combination with regular sleeping medications or alcohol because those can compound its effect.
Another of today’s best natural sleep supplements is kave. The kava plant belongs to the pepper family and has been shown in some studies to help relieve the symptoms of anxiety. In a
2001 study at Duke University Medical Center, kava was shown to be as effective as benzodiazepines in treating anxiety.
Researcher Jerome Sarris of the University of Queensland in Australia says that kava has been used for many centuries in the Pacific Islands to treat anxiety. In a doubleblind, randomized study reported by the National Institutes of Health, Dr. Sarris studied 37 subjects who had varying degrees of anxiety and depression. The results were that kava was shown to be moderately effective in the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder.
Magnesium also appears to contribute to a good night’s sleep. This silver metallic element is often overlooked as a nutrient, but it’s definitely one of the best natural sleep supplements today. Studies show that now only is magnesium beneficial in supporting a healthy immune system, it also helps keep bones strong, your heart rhythm steady, and maintain normal nerve and muscle function. Magnesium is also credited with helping promote normal blood pressure, and regulate blood sugar levels, according to studies reported by the National Institutes of
According to the NIH, when the body doesn’t get the necessary amounts of magnesium, the results are that nerve cell communication is inhibited which leads to cell excitability and the body appears to be stressed out and more nervous than normal.
There you have it, the top 5 natural sleep supplements recommended by today’s sleep experts.
Hopefully, you’ll be able to get a good night’s sleep with modifying your lifestyle according to the tips above, but if you need a little help and don’t want to go the prescription route, these 5 natural sleep supplements may be just the thing to help you get that good night’s rest you’ve been needing.
Article Source: http://www.abcarticledirectory.com
Deven Soni is a Venture Capital Advisor and co-founder of Sprayable Inc. — the makers of the world’s first topical energy and sleep sprays. His dream is to change the way people live, work and sleep by making the best possible lifestyle products and making them available to people across the world Learn more about our flagship product Sprayable Sleep:www.sprayablesleep.com/about.
Still Searching? Last Chance to find what you're looking for with a Google Custom Search!
Or.... You can search this site using our Bing Custom Search!
Did You Like/Dislike This Article? Give It YOUR Rating!
Please Rate this Article
5 out of 54 out of 53 out of 52 out of 51 out of 5
No Ratings Yet. Be The First To Rate This Article
Powered by ABC Article Directory